Sunday, August 16, 2009

Butterflies and Wheels, Sokal, and National Rum Day

I see that Butterflies and Wheels has linked to my recent post, "Alan Sokal, science, and politics." Many thanks to Ophelia Benson, whose persistent challenging of Mooney and Kirshenbaum I noted admiringly in another recent post. And welcome, B&W readers!

As I said at the end of the Sokal post, I plan to develop several of those ideas in more depth in the upcoming weeks. I'll be traveling today, but hope to respond to comments and put up a few more posts this evening.

In the meantime...

As some people may be aware, I am a devotee of Gosling's Black Seal Rum from Bermuda.






I learned from their mailing list [!] recently that today is National Rum Day! (I assume that means in Bermuda, but today we are all Bermudians.) Here are some recipes for rum cocktails. They also recently teamed up with Polar Beverages here in Massachusetts to make their own ginger beer, as used in Bermuda's national drink, the Dark 'n Stormy.

Gosling's outlets tend to follow the sailing/sea-trade circuit, so a lot of places in the Boston area carry it (also the great Bar 89 in New York, where cool bartenders fix nice, strong drinks). Here's help finding a supplier near you (possibly).

Happy Rum Day!

2 comments:

  1. Cool. I have not tried Black Seal, but will see if I can find it. Thanks for the recipes as well.

    Ciao, beautiful minded one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you sweet. :)

    Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete